Parents' Association Parent Affinity & Alliance Groups
Affinity & Alliance Groups are groups of people linked by a common identity, interest, or purpose. The groups provide the opportunity for reflection, dialogue, and support, and the capacity to build more inclusive spaces.
ESD Parent Affinity & Alliance Groups are designed to facilitate the following:
- Engage the full community in a thoughtful, representative, and inclusive manner.
- Provide parents space for meaningful conversations, to unite openly, and engage intelligently related to their families’ cultural identifiers (i.e. gender, religion, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and ethnicity).
- Establish regularly scheduled forums for interested parents to generate familiarity and trust, discuss ideas, identify issues, and propose solutions related to diversity and inclusion at ESD.
There are three established Parent Affinity or Alliance Groups at ESD currently, which include Families of Color, LGBTQ / Gender Identity, and Religious Diversity. Individuals interested in establishing a new Parent Affinity Group should contact the ESDPA President.
Parent Affinity & Alliance Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Facilitator: Leader of Affinity or Alliance Group. Prepares agenda for meetings, facilitates group discussion, encourages participation
- Notetaker: Records the group's decisions and other important aspects of the discussions; makes copies available to affinity/alliance group members.
- Logistics Coordinator: Works with ESD's Calendar & Events Coordinator to assure meeting dates and times are on the ESD calendar. Requests specific needs; water, coffee, etc.
- Attend new family welcome events.
- Serve as a buddy family for an incoming family.
- Support Admission efforts.
- Share your time and talents and sign up to volunteer for any of our parent organizations: Parents’ Association, Dads’ Partnership, Booster Club, or FAN.
Individuals interested in joining an Affinity or Alliance Group may sign up through the ESD's Parent Volunteer System below.