Welcome to ESD!
We would like to introduce ourselves to you and help you navigate the health clinic and necessary forms for your student.
ESD’s Health Team has two Registered Nurses and one part-time Registered Nurse available to our students, faculty, staff, and visitors throughout the school day to optimize health, safety and learning. Carla Thomas, BSN, RN, staffs the lower school office while Marcia Biggs, BSN, RN staffs the middle and upper school clinic, assisted by part-time nurse Georgia Johnson, BSN, RN. The children know us as “Nurse Carla,” “Nurse Biggs” and “Nurse Georgia,” respectively. We have many years of nursing experience with backgrounds in critical care maternal-child health, ER and school nursing. We love caring for our little babies (the students) and our big babies (the faculty, staff, and parents!) and consider each one of them an extension of our own families!
As you complete your enrollment for your child, you will be asked to fill out many forms. And yes, that includes forms for the health clinic! Magnus Health is the provider of our secure web-based electronic medical record system so all your child’s health records will be initiated and submitted online. This information is HIPPA and FERPA protected and is unique to each student. Beginning April 5, you will begin receiving frequent emails from Magnus Health until all forms are completed. You will have access to the Magnus Health website once you receive your Veracross login information. The login to Magnus Health will be the same as your Veracross parent portal login. You may also access your Magnus account from inside your parent portal.
ALL forms must be complete and on file in Magnus Health by August 1, 2022. PLEASE NOTE: Your child’s school enrollment is not considered complete until all health forms are approved in Magnus Health.
- ESD requires an annual physical exam on every student that remains current for the school year. You may use the ESD form or the UIL physical form used by many physicians. An immunization record with a date of physical exam and stamp by the physician is NOT accepted by the school as record of an annual physical examination.
- You must also provide a current lifetime immunization record that is signed or stamped by the physician’s office; this lifetime immunization record must be emailed to the nurses at the time the enrollment agreement is signed and deposit submitted to email@example.com no later than March 25, 2022. All new students must be fully immunized in accordance with the most current immunization schedule adopted by the Texas Department of State Health Services or have a medical exemption letter to enroll at ESD.
- To claim exclusions for medical reasons, a written statement shall be received from a board-certified allergy/immunology or hematology/oncology physician licensed by any state in the United States (M.D. or D.O.) who has examined the student and determines: (i) A vaccination to be medically contraindicated and injurious to the health and well-being of the child; or (ii) An allergy to the vaccination(s) identified in the statement and will suffer severe allergic reaction(s) described in the statement; or (iii) An immunodeficiency described in the statement and will suffer a serious health risk(s), which is also described in the statement, if the student receives the vaccination(s) specifically identified in the statement; and (iv) The child does not pose a health risk to the school or community if enrolled without receiving an immunization.
- Other forms accessible via Magnus which should be completed, if applicable, are allergy and/or asthma forms and a “Parent Request to Administer Medication” form if your child will be taking a prescription medication in the clinic on a regular basis.
- Inhalers and epinephrine auto-injectors do apply, so please complete this form if you will be supplying one of these medications for the clinic.
- An additional form will be required if your child will self-carry his/her inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector.
- If you note asthma or a severe allergy for your child, you will be required to complete an Asthma Action Plan or a Severe Allergy Action Plan in Magnus Health as a checks and balance system.
- There are also Seizure and Diabetes Action Plans to complete if those conditions apply to your child.
- Please do NOT return these forms to the school.
Upper school students will not be allowed to practice in athletics until all forms are complete and on file. Please make sure we have your forms so your student may participate and practice with us. We are not able to make exceptions.
Thank you for entrusting us with the care of your precious children. Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
Carla Thomas, RN
214-353-5773 (direct line)
Marcia Biggs, RN
214-353-5867 (direct line)
Georgia Johnson, RN
214-353-5767 (direct line)