One of the goals of the ESD athletic department is to encourage athletes to participate in three sports and not specialize in one particular sport. By providing off-campus exemptions to students for physical education credit we feel that we have been undermining this goal. Therefore, beginning in the 2019-20 school year, exemptions will no longer be given at the Middle School level, and exemptions in the Upper School will be restricted to athletes who are competing at the highest levels of their sport (national teams, olympic development teams, high state ranking) and/or are participating in at least 10 hours of the sport Monday-Thursday. Participation time only includes team practices and does not include travel time to the practices.
We will extend exemptions next year to current seventh graders who were granted exemptions this year, provided they still meet the exemption criteria from this year.
Incoming students in grades 9-12 may apply next year, but will be subjected to the new requirements.
Athletic Department and Program Goals
- Develop the best overall athletic program.
- Teach fundamentals and techniques of each sport in a progressive planned sequence.
- Commit comprehensively to the strength and conditioning program without exception.
- Emphasize full participation, encouraging athletes to play two or three sports, and not specialize in one particular sport.
- Provide the best in facilities and equipment.
- Strive for each student-athlete to have meaningful experiences.
- Teach life lessons through athletics and team sports.