Welcome to ESD!
We would like to introduce ourselves to you and help you navigate the health clinic and necessary forms for your student.
I am Carla Thomas, the Lower School Nurse. The children know me as “Nurse Carla” and I will be caring for your children’s illnesses and “boo-boos” while they are at school. I am a registered nurse with 40+ years experience in maternal-child health and am beginning my 20th year at ESD. I love caring for my little babies (the students) and my big babies (the faculty, staff, and parents!) at ESD. I consider each one of them an extension of my own family!
I am Marcia Biggs, the Middle and Upper School Nurse. The kids usually call me Miss Biggs or Nurse Biggs. I, too, am a registered nurse, but I am younger than Nurse Carla (I had to rub that in) so I only have 25 years experience in treating the ”boo-boos.” We are a family for sure. It is a joy to take care of your kids!
As you complete your enrollment for your child, you will be asked to fill out many forms. And yes, that includes forms for the health clinic. Magnus Health is the provider of our secure web-based electronic medical record system so all your child’s health records will be initiated and submitted online. This information is HIPPA and FERPA protected and is unique to each student. Beginning April 12, you will begin receiving biweekly emails from Magnus Health until all forms are completed. You will have access to the Magnus Health website once you receive your Veracross login information. Your login credentials to Magnus Health will be the same as your credentials for your Veracross Parent Portal login. You may also access your Magnus account from inside your Veracross Parent Portal.
ALL forms must be complete and on file in Magnus Health by August 1, 2021. PLEASE NOTE: Your child’s school enrollment is not considered complete until all health forms are approved in Magnus Health.
- ESD requires an annual physical exam on every student.
- You must also provide a current lifetime immunization record that is signed or stamped by the physician’s office; the immunization record must be uploaded into your student’s Magnus chart for review no later than May 21, 2021. All new students must be fully immunized in accordance with the most current immunization schedule adopted by the Texas Department of State Health Services or have a medical exemption letter to enroll at ESD. To claim exclusions for medical reasons, a written statement shall be received from a board-certified allergy/immunology or hematology/oncology physician licensed by any state in the United States (M.D. or D.O.) who has examined the student and determines: (i) A vaccination to be medically contraindicated and injurious to the health and well-being of the child; or (ii) An allergy to the vaccination(s) identified in the statement and will suffer severe allergic reaction(s) described in the statement; or (iii) An immunodeficiency described in the statement and will suffer a serious health risk(s), which is also described in the statement, if the student receives the vaccination(s) specifically identified in the statement; and (iv) The child does not pose a health risk to the school or community if enrolled without receiving an immunization.
- Other forms accessible via Magnus which should be completed, if applicable, are allergy and/or asthma forms and a “Parent Request to Administer Medication” form if your child will be taking a prescription medication in the clinic on a regular basis.
- Inhalers and epinephrine auto-injectors do apply, so please complete this form if you will be supplying one of these medications for the clinic.
- An additional form will be required if your child will self-carry his/her inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector.
- If you note asthma or a severe allergy for your child, you will be required to complete an Asthma Action Plan or a Severe Allergy Action Plan in Magnus Health as a checks and balance system.
- There are also Seizure and Diabetes Action Plans to complete if those conditions apply to your child.
- Please do NOT return these forms to the school.
Upper School students will not be allowed to practice in athletics until all forms are complete and on file. Please make sure we have your forms so your student may participate and practice with us. We are not able to make exceptions.
Thank you for entrusting us with the care of your precious children. Please do not hesitate to contact either of us if you have any questions or concerns.
In good health,
Carla Thomas, RN
214-353-5773 (direct line)
Marcia Biggs, RN
214-353-5867 (direct line)