Congratulations to the eight ESD rowers who had boats qualify for USRowing's National Youth Championships in Sarasota, Florida. The event, held in early June, allowed the very best high school and club rowers to compete. To automatically qualify, boats must finish in the top two at one of seven regional finals. ESD competes in the Central Region. Additional bids are offered to the next highest finisher, should a top two boat decline and the third place finisher be deemed competitive. One ESD rower, Katelin Gildersleeve '19, qualified for Nationals by finishing a full 20 seconds ahead of any of her competitors in the Central Region! This was the second year in a row for Katie Smythe '18 to qualify.
Due to time proximity of races, ESD elected for rowers to not participate in more than one event at Nationals. Special thanks to Mr. Herrick for leading the team in Florida! Final finishes were:
- Katelin Gildersleeve finished fifth in the country -- as a sophomore!
- Katie Smythe '18 and Izzy Harrington '18 won the C Final and finished 13th overall.
- Niko Gies '17, Grant Hemingway '17, Bryce Miltenberger '19, and Tommy Hessell '17 finished 17th overall.
The ESD boats that earned bids are:
- Katelin Gildersleeve '19 finished first in her varsity single.
- Katie Smythe '18 and Katelin Gildersleeve '19 finished second at regionals in their varsity double.
- Katie Smythe '18, Jensen Clardy '17, Katelin Gildersleeve '19, and Izzy Harrington '18 finished third at regionals in the varsity quad and received a roll down bid.
- Niko Gies '17, Grant Hemingway '17, Bryce Miltenberger '19, and Tommy Hessell '17 also finished third at regionals in the varsity quad and received a roll down bid.
Congratulations to all of these rowers for an outstanding showing! Proud of you, Eagles!