Upper School Fine Arts
In accordance with the Mission Statement, the Fine Arts Department provides an environment for an increased understanding of self, artistic and creative talents, and our relationship to other people and the world. Students are required to take one year of Fine Arts in the Upper School to meet graduation requirements. At least one semester of this requirement must be fulfilled by an experiential, hands-on course.
SUBJECT MASTERY GOALS
• To explore the joy of creating and appreciation of artistic forms
• To develop confidence in one’s own personal vision and expression
• To assess critically and analyze an artistic discipline
• To solve problems and develop reasoning skills
• To become culturally literate and involved participants in the community
1 unit (including ½ credit in an experiential class, indicated by a star. The Life Studies Philosophy Statement below has been developed and adopted by the Episcopal School of Dallas to more clearly define the creating and displaying of life drawings.
“The Episcopal School of Dallas is committed to the arts. Our goal is to advance the appreciation and education of art. This includes the creation and display of life drawings. Because ESD recognizes that there are disparate feelings that exist regarding life drawings, we employ faculty evaluation of all art works displayed on campus and the school has designed a Reconsideration Policy to address concerns.”